Tuesday 24 April 2012

Chased by a hunter


It's official. I've been chased by a hunter, a job hunter, I mean.  I have been a Brussels-intern for more than a year now. I've worked with different European, pan-European, international and multinational organisations and part of my job has always been monitoring the general email account of these organisation. You cannot imagine how much fun this could be! Especially, if you're lucky, just as I was. Throughout my internships, I have been able to follow up on the career advancement (or the lack of it) of a certain candidate, whose CV I have personally received more than 10 times. It's the perfect example of how you'll never land a job. Not only in Brussels. 

It was also an excellent example of a bad CV, or what's even more disturbing, a good profile with a very lousy CV. Decent education, remarkable experience, excellent language skills and all that presented in a boring, ugly Europass format. A couple of months later, I have received an updated version of the CV. This time no Europass format, yet a screaming inability to hyperlink, describe a job in less than 1 page or begin a sentence with anything but "I".

The second reason why this candidate will never get a job this way is because (s)he is not reaching HR at all. Sending your CV to the first random email address that you come across, is not really a good strategy. It's no strategy at all.

Last but not least, sending a spontaneous application requires more research than applying for a vacancy. Write a motivation letter, show why you want to work for this company, how you will be an asset to them. 

 "Dear [organisation], In annex I send you my Curriculum, CV for position you will evaluate" 

Well, my dear, guess what? I am not the one "evaluating" neither CVs, nor positions. If I were the one, I would have "evaluated" one for myself a long time ago. And your CV is nothing but junk mail. 


3 comments:

  1. Hey, this blog seems like a pretty realistic take on the situation in Brussels.
    Have you made any progress recently? I'm looking for something more mid-range/senior oriented myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on my way 2 an interview now. Not sure this counts as progress though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. Good for you and I know how good it feels to be chased by a head hunter. The secret sometimes is patience.
    southern oregon jobs

    ReplyDelete